Supersensitive hearing in Children

tonyjeffs at tonyjeffs at
Sun Feb 9 15:32:21 EST 1997

In article <855272467.26251 at>, pimalj at writes:

>I recently received a phone call from a parent of a child who
>is "sensitive" to loud noises, voices, etc.  Her physician tells her
>not to worry--he will outgrow this behavior.  I have evaluated other
>children with "sensitive" hearing and have always had normal audiometric
>results. Somewhere in my readings I recall an article on sensitive
>in children. Can anyone comment on the physiological or psychological
>(or ??) explanation for this sensitivity? Does anyone have a reference
>I can use for this parent?  Thanks!
>Lori K.

I'm not an audiologist, but  have hyperacusis,  and  am pretty sure from
my own experience, and that of others I've spoken to, that an audiogram
that extended into the region 12khz to 30 khz would show abnormal results.
(My audiogram up to 8khz is conventional)
I dont suppose this would be directly relevant in assessing treatment, but
might be useful as a diagnostic tool.