Job Available

A. Soyk alsoyk at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 20 19:43:26 EST 1997

I am currently in my first year of Graduate school at the University of
Washington for Audiology and I would tend to agree with those who feel that
ASHA may not address all of the Audiologists needs.  I went to this year's
convention in Seattle, paid almost $150 , and feel that I got very little
for my money.  The selection of seminars available was so sparse that even
those I went to weren't exactly what I was looking for in the way of
informational experiences.  I went to a predominantly Speech Undergraduate
program, maybe 5 out of 80 were interested in Audiology, and was led to
believe that membership in ASHA was EXPECTED.  So, I joined NSSLHA to get
a break on the money I would have to pay for membership in ASHA once I got
my C's.  I am very happy with NSSLHA, it's pretty well balanced between
the two professions.  However, if convention is reflective of what I have
to look forward to once I get my Master's Degree, I'm not so sure that
that is the way I want to go.  Had I known, I would've saved the money and
gone to AAA, where ALL of the seminars are pertinent to the field I have
chosen.  When I look towards the future, and I have to decide if I want to
join a professional organization, I will weigh the options available to me
and make the right decision for ME.  In the end, I believe it will come
down to just that for all of us, deciding what we want and who we want to
be affiliated with.  If you are happy with ASHA, then be a member of ASHA,
and vice-versa.  One person cannot sit and tell another what is good for
them and what is not.  I think ASHA will always be a part of Audiology
since I don't believe that you can seperate Speech from Audiology.  The
two work together many times,and alienating a whole profession because we,
or they, have different interests isn't in the best interests for our
patients.  Granted, I am only beginning my path in my career and I may not
understand all of the reasoning behind some arguements, but to "trash" one
organization in favor of another simply based on personal opinion isn't
really beneficial to anyone.  When you boil everything down, it's all
personal choice, and no one can decide that for you. As long as the
profession isn't suffering or being degraded in any way, then what does it
matter if everyone is a member of ASHA or AAA or both?

Sincerely,
Alecia L. Soyk
U. of Washington
1st year Grad. Student