Sound localization

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 26 22:16:42 EST 1997

In <Pine.SOL.3.91.970226160918.11876A-100000 at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> "Wei C.
Lin" <wlin2 at uiuc.edu> writes:

>Hi,
>
>	I am studying the machinism of sound localization, which is
>thought to be accomplished by using the interaural temporal difference
(ITD)
>and interaural level difference (ILD). ITD is thought to be achieved
by
>neuronal delay line, and will divide azimuth into several partitions.
>
>	Does someone hear of any theory which accounts how the ILD is
>used along with ITD to divide the auditory space, especially how ILD
is
>used to estimate the distance of sound source?
>
>	Thanks for any input.
>

>				Wei C. Lin
>
>				Biology Devision
>				Department of Psychology
>				College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
>				University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
>
>				603 E. Daniel St. Rm 538
>				Champaign, IL  61820
>				U.S.A.
>
>				Email:	Wei-Chen at uiuc.edu
>				WWW:	http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/wlin2
>				Tel:	217-337-6856

Probably you'll get good responses before you get this, but you might
want to get a Russian perspective:  Dr. Tatiana Chernigovskaya and her
colleague, Dr. Inna Vartanian, at Sechenov Institute (St. Petersburg)
have done work on sound localization (I visited their sound-isolated
testing chamber a few years ago):   chern at ief.spb.su

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group