Sound localization

F. Frank LeFever flefever at
Wed Feb 26 22:16:42 EST 1997

In <Pine.SOL.3.91.970226160918.11876A-100000 at> "Wei C.
Lin" <wlin2 at> writes:
>	I am studying the machinism of sound localization, which is
>thought to be accomplished by using the interaural temporal difference
>and interaural level difference (ILD). ITD is thought to be achieved
>neuronal delay line, and will divide azimuth into several partitions.
>	Does someone hear of any theory which accounts how the ILD is
>used along with ITD to divide the auditory space, especially how ILD
>used to estimate the distance of sound source?
>	Thanks for any input.
>				Wei C. Lin
>				Biology Devision
>				Department of Psychology
>				College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
>				University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
>				603 E. Daniel St. Rm 538
>				Champaign, IL  61820
>				U.S.A.
>				Email:	Wei-Chen at
>				WWW:
>				Tel:	217-337-6856
Probably you'll get good responses before you get this, but you might
want to get a Russian perspective:  Dr. Tatiana Chernigovskaya and her
colleague, Dr. Inna Vartanian, at Sechenov Institute (St. Petersburg)
have done work on sound localization (I visited their sound-isolated
testing chamber a few years ago):   chern at

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group