Sound localization

Richard Tuck rtuck at tuck-asc.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 14:32:26 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.970226160918.11876A-100000 at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>,
"Wei C. Lin" <wlin2 at uiuc.edu> writes
>Hi,
>
>       I am studying the machinism of sound localization, which is
>thought to be accomplished by using the interaural temporal difference (ITD)
>and interaural level difference (ILD). ITD is thought to be achieved by
>neuronal delay line, and will divide azimuth into several partitions.
>
>       Does someone hear of any theory which accounts how the ILD is
>used along with ITD to divide the auditory space, especially how ILD is
>used to estimate the distance of sound source?

Snip

There is another very important source of localisation cues.  This is
the change in the frequency response between ears caused by the head and
torso and, at higher frequencies by the pinna.  Without this mechanism
we would not be able to differentiate between front to back and up or
down.

I cannot point you in the direction of any literature on the subject but
it should be reasonably easy to find with online searching.

Regards

Richard