Central Aud Proc in Unilateral hearing loss

Jay Lucker dr.j at RDZ.STJOHNS.EDU
Fri Jan 3 10:04:31 EST 1997

Dear John,

*NO*  CAP testing is *not* dichotic testing.  One area of central
evaluation is dichotic,  but it is far from the only area of testing.

The basic problem you present in your thinking, I think, is an incorrect
model or foundation for understanding central auditory processing.  If you
view central auditory processing as the ability to complete in a
satisfactory and efficient manner all of the processing needed to extract
meaning from a message, store the message for later retrival, put the
pieces of information together (i.e., integration), and comprehend what
the message means, then, dichotic listening is only a small part of this
process.

Now consider the following tests which you can do monaurally:
Filtered speech
Speech-in noise (using a wide variety of noises)
Speech-with-competition (mixed in same ear)
Pitch Pattern Perception
Tonal duration perception
Speech discrimination (true discrimination) testing

Among other tasks, all of these can even be done in the sound filed
throguh loud speakers.  There are norms for each any every one of these
tasks.

So, I hope this calrifies your understanding of CAP and CAP testing.  Yes,
dichotic listening is an important part of the CAP test battery, but it is
not the only part, nor is it all of CAP testing.

Now, back to my original question....please clarify what you really are
concerned with ?  Be happy to help you out.

dr.j!
<dr.j at rdz.stjohns.edu>