Hearing Loss in Childs

SSimp10496 ssimp10496 at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 10:20:54 EST 1997

Be thankful to God that her hearing can be helped with aids.  Our daughter
was diagnosed at 6 months with a profound loss and the prognosis was that
she wouldn't hear at all and to learn sign language.  Kylie surprised them
all though.  At 6 months she just wasn't testable.  She had been in an
intensive care unit for months previous and had learned to tune out most
background noise.  She will be retested at 18 months, but her hearing
teacher feels that by the time she matures, she will be able to hear with
aids too!

I understand the grief you feel, because we experienced it with great
intensity.  Keep up with everything you need to be doing and Don't treat
her like she's now special and can't do things other kids can.  That would
be doing her a great injustice.  She needs to know she fits in.  If she
struggles in a totally hearing world, you have the option (if you're in
the U.S.) of demanding she be placed with other hearing impaired kids that
are taught to be "mainstreamed" with hearing kids.

We have opted that by the time our daughter is 3, we will be able to move
to a county in Michigan which almost "caters" to hearing impaired
children, where they are the norm at one particular school that has both
hearing and deaf kids.  You may want to contact your school district to
find out these types of options, or look on the Internet.

Good luck to all of you.

Sharon