Ear Drums Blown in War??

jay hans jayhans at mail.idt.net
Sat Jan 25 17:18:56 EST 1997

>My father is a veteran of both the 2nd World War and the Korean war and
>believes he had his ear drums blown out during a severe mortar shelling
>in the Korean war.  He is 76 yrs old and has suffered considerable
>hearing loss in the last decade. The Pension Board disagrees, saying
>hearing loss would have occurred immediately after the shelling. Is it
>possible that hearing loss later on in life could be attributed to this
>earlier incident in the war? Any professional opinions would be greatly
>appreciated.

Do mean the VA ? I am not sure what the "pension board" is.
In either case, your father would have noticed either his noise -induced
hearing loss or the loss of his eardrums at or soon after exposure.
WHile he probably did incur some hearing loss at the time, his current state
is probably due more to his age than his wartime exposure.  Just for the
record, what has he done in the last 40-50 years that was noisy ?