Ear Drums Blown in War??

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Mon Jan 27 00:43:15 EST 1997

Mike Blanchfield writes:

>Pls Help!!
>My father is a veteran of both the 2nd World War and the Korean war and
>believes he had his ear drums blown out during a severe mortar shelling
>in the Korean war. He is 76 yrs old and has suffered considerable
>hearing loss in the last decade. The Pension Board disagrees, saying
>hearing loss would have occurred immediately after the shelling. Is it
>possible that hearing loss later on in life could be attributed to this
>earlier incident in the war? Any professional opinions would be greatly
>appreciated.

Whenever I hear the saying "Had my eardrums blown out" I always worry that
the person making this saying actually means "I have a hearing loss due to
noise exposure" rather than a physical destruction of the actual eardrums.

My advice is that your father see an otolaryngologist (an ear, nose, throat
physician) with an audiologist on staff.  They will be able to assess the
present status of the "eardrums" and his hearing loss.

Your case with the VA can go on from there...