licensure questions

Susan Moore smoore at otolaryngology-po.oto.uiowa.edu
Mon Jan 27 10:36:13 EST 1997

1.  Do I need to be a member of ASHA in order to get my C's?  Can I pay
for licensure without paying for membership? $249 seems like a whole
lotta money for a whole lotta nuthin'.  What do I get out of being a
member of ASHA?

     If you want Cs, only ASHA sells them.  You will NEVER EVER EVER need Cs to
get a license in ANY state to practice audiology or sell hearing aids.  What you
get out of being a member of ASHA is very questionable.  They sell themselves by
telling you you get great offers on car and malpractice insurance (not true) and
their publications whose usefuleness is also a matter of opinion.  They have
pioneered the way for our profession.  They do offer some measure of standard for
states that do not offer any form of regulation of the practice of audiology.

2.  I think that in Indiana it is mandatory that I have my C's whether I
use them or not.  Is this true?

This cannot be true.  See above.  NO STATE IN THE UNION can require you to buy
CCCs from ASHA, a private accrediting organization.

3.  Is the American Academy of Audiology or the Academy of Dispensing
Audiologists offering any kind of certification or licensure that is
acceptable in Indiana instead of ASHA's C's?

They are working on it.  Nothing official yet, but again, NO private organization,
ASHA, AAA, ABC, XYZ can require you to buy their license.  Only the state license
must be held.  Many states will accept proof of the CCC-A as having met the
requirements for their state license, but if you can get the CCC-A, you shouldn't
have any problem in maintaining and obtaining the state license.  It probably
costs less.

Only if you are going to be supervising students that want to get their CCC-A
is it important to have the CCC-A.  And this is also of questionable merit.

Susan