Hearing Loss in Childs

Sandra and Dan Hobson danhobson at netins.net
Mon Jan 27 22:57:43 EST 1997

It would be nice to know exactly what the hearing test of your child was
for more clear information.  Also when did the hearing loss occur?  How is
her speech and language development?  Is she on par with her playmates in
communication? How do her teachers rate her attentiveness in class and
ability to participate?  There is alot to evaluate and decide what is best
for the child at home and at school and in playing with her friends and
siblings?

I grew up with a moderate hearing loss that wasn't identified till I was 8
yrs. old and in 3rd grade.  Since the technology 35 yrs.ago was not the
best,  my parents decided to wait, with appropriate seating in school,
written as well as verbal instructions to help me get assignments, and
speechreading assistance were all helpful.  Work with your audiolgist and
teachers closely.  Encourage your daughter to try new things and to read
...read...read.  Do not let the hearing loss be an excuse that she can't do
chores, assignments, sports, whatever...treat her as you would her other
no...so that you are sure she has heard you and has understood.

Best of Luck.    Sandra Hobson, M.A., CCC-Audiologist  (Des Moines, Iowa)