people's hearing-impaired relatives in faraway places

Maxianne Berger maxib at CAM.ORG
Thu Jul 10 15:06:00 EST 1997

The friend of a colleague has a relative in the Ukraine with a
severe bilateral hearing loss.  She's asked me to find out what I
can about what might be done to help this man.

The man is and out-of-work geologist, and apparently quite
depressed. The Ukraine is rebuilding its social structures and
there are no local resources for him.

A 1994 audio indicates a SN loss with thresholds in the 70 to 90
dB range.  My colleague cannot read the language and can't figure
out any discrim ability.

The relative says that if help is available in Poland, the man
might be able to get there.

**** Where might one go in Poland for a hearing aid and some
     guidance?

**** Does anyone have communication strategies or information for
     people with hearing loss of any sort written in Ukrainian?

As he's been out of work, the man may have no resources for
getting to Poalnd or for purchasing a hearing aid that might
help.

**** Are there any "benevolent" associations that could help such
     a person?

In similar situations, we've sometimes directed people to a local
dispenser who has donated and reconditioned hearing aids.  We've
suggested the person bring stock earmolds in three different
sizes.  (Of course, it is possible that the relative here can
afford a new hearing aid, but the problem of not having a custom
mold remains.)  I've met some people with severe losses who
prefer foam "molds" that they can discard after a few days.

**** Do these foam earmolds still exist? Who markets them? What
     is the general cost of, say, a year's supply?
**** When using a "stock" earmold, might it be better to use a
     body aid? How about a personal amplifyer? Can one be strong
     enough for this extent of loss?

I appologize for this multitude of questions.  I'll make hard
copies of any and all replies and send them to my colleague.  I
thank you in advance for all leads.

Maxianne Berger
Audiologist
The Montreal General Hospital