Are Audiologists Ethnocentric?

Genxman777 genxman777 at
Wed Jul 16 12:50:53 EST 1997

The question of this post is directed to working audiologists with a
Master's level
education. Most Master level Audiologists are members of the majority
Anglo Saxon, Northern or Western European, monolingual English speakers
with a Judeo-Christian background. What is their opinion of Audiologists
do not share this background? Would they consider hiring someone who does
share this ethnic background? I would guess most would hire someone
"like themselves".

What of patients and their care? As the milennium approaches- the
becomes more diverse, yet it appears audiologists remain conservative in
hiring of minority audiology staff. Is this in the patients best interest?

Why is the audiology community as a whole so rigid on this issue? Do they
see minority personnel as a "threat" to the status quo? Why is ethnicity
and ethnic background so integral in considerations for employment. Should
the qualifications of the job candidate be more important than ethnicity?

In a limited job market like clinical audiology- I guess the majority
reverts to judging persons on stereotypes rather than facts. Are Speech
Pathologists similar to Audiologists on this issue? I would like to hear
your comments on this topic