Are Audiologists Ethnocentric?

Genxman777 genxman777 at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 12:50:53 EST 1997

The question of this post is directed to working audiologists with a
Master's level
education. Most Master level Audiologists are members of the majority
group-
Anglo Saxon, Northern or Western European, monolingual English speakers
with a Judeo-Christian background. What is their opinion of Audiologists
who
do not share this background? Would they consider hiring someone who does
not
share this ethnic background? I would guess most would hire someone
"like themselves".

What of patients and their care? As the milennium approaches- the
population
becomes more diverse, yet it appears audiologists remain conservative in
their
hiring of minority audiology staff. Is this in the patients best interest?

Why is the audiology community as a whole so rigid on this issue? Do they
see minority personnel as a "threat" to the status quo? Why is ethnicity
and ethnic background so integral in considerations for employment. Should
not
the qualifications of the job candidate be more important than ethnicity?

In a limited job market like clinical audiology- I guess the majority
community
reverts to judging persons on stereotypes rather than facts. Are Speech
Pathologists similar to Audiologists on this issue? I would like to hear
your comments on this topic

STOP THE HATE