New hearing aid user w/many questions

Mike Alf gmalf19 at mail.nwlink.com
Fri Jul 11 18:29:06 EST 1997

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:19:39 -0400, Joy-Ann Maloney
<jmaloney at umd5.umd.edu> wrote:

>1) My tinnitus is worse after a few (3-5) hours of using hearing aids.
>I've had intermittent tinnitus as long as I can remember, which gets
>worse with stress.

For some people a hearing aid will aggravate tinnitus.

>2) General ear discomfort after a few (3-5) hours of use.
>3) Sometimes localized ear discomfort after use (like one spot hurts).

Both of these symptoms are caused by the shell not fitting properly.
Your audiologist will have to do some grinding.

>4) Background noise and "in-my-head" noises are very annoying. (e.g.
>wind noise, highway wind noise, eating popcorn at the movies, eating
>bagel chips, etc.)

This can also be caused by improper fit.  The fit of an aid is very
important for both comfort and sound.  A slight change in fit can
cause a big change in the sound of the aid.

There are other causes of these problems but due to your original
complaint about fit that should be the first thing to correct.

>5) When I put in my aids, about 15 minutes after my shower, sometimes
>water comes into my ear canal and I have to take out the aids and wipe
>them and my ear out to be comfortable.
>6) I feel "phantom" hearing aids for an hour or so after I take them
>off.

Another symptom of improper fit.

Once the fit problem is taken care of  you'll find your aid to be much
more tolerable.  The only problem that may persist is aggravated
tinnitus.  If your tinnitus is being caused by stress from the fit of
your hearing aid adjusting the fit of the aid may solve all your
problems.

Mike