earmolds

keskritt at SPRYNET.COM keskritt at SPRYNET.COM
Mon Jul 21 20:27:39 EST 1997

Dear Amy:

depends on what type of mold is required for what type of loss.  Some earmolds
are made out of lucite, but this material is basically like the material used to
make ITE hearing aids, and thus, are likely to feedback if the aid is powerful
enough.  For severe to profound hearing losses, I usually use a softer material
like NewSil or Silicone. But yes, some people are allergic to this, so there are
some materials that are more hypoallergenic than others.  Polyethylene is
supposed to be relatively benign, and is often used for those who are truly
allergic.  However, there are even some people out there who are allergic to
this material.

We use silicone based impression material for our earmold impressions, and so
far, we have not had anyone who is allergic to this material...

I hope this is helpful.

K. A. Eskritt, M.Cl.Sc., Reg CASLPO
AUDIOLOGIST