Ear Molds

Tapeworm tapeworm at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jul 23 05:14:47 EST 1997

Oh, lots of people are allergic to mold...

Just kidding.

Earmolds can be made of a number of hard or soft plastics/polymers.
Lucite seems to be the most common hard material.

A small percentage of my patients do have allergic reactions to the
earmold material.  It's a matter of changing the material to find one
that doesn't cause a reaction.  In extreme cases, medical grade silicone
can be used, but it's a relatiely fragile material, prone to tearing and
shrinkage with age.

Hope this answers your question.

David Weesner, MA, CCC/A
Audiologist