HOW TO UNDERSTAND DIFFERENT IMPEDANCE RATES?!!!

Luc.vanHoye at ping.be Luc.vanHoye at ping.be
Mon Jun 2 18:16:54 EST 1997

I am trying to figger out if the impedance of an audio device has
something to do with how loud its signal can go...

for example:

I have a Roland XP80 (the audio device) which allows headphones with an
impedance between 8-150 Ohms.

Now, is it so that if I should use an 20 Ohms headphone I will probably
get a louder signal then if I should use a headphone with an 150 Ohms
impedance?!

Could anyone explain me how this works and what people mean if they say
that a headphone is 'hard to drive'?!

Second, if I have the option, is it always better to chose a headphone
with low impedance?

I would really appreciate it if somebody could explain this to me!
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Luc van Hoye.