HOW TO UNDERSTAND DIFFERENT IMPEDANCE RATES?!!!

John Woodgate jmw at jmwa.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 01:52:06 EST 1997

In article <33935466.1CC at ping.be>, Luc.vanHoye at ping.be writes
>I am trying to figger out if the impedance of an audio device has
>something to do with how loud its signal can go...

No, nothing at all.

>for example:
>
>I have a Roland XP80 (the audio device) which allows headphones with an
>impedance between 8-150 Ohms.
>
>Now, is it so that if I should use an 20 Ohms headphone I will probably
>get a louder signal then if I should use a headphone with an 150 Ohms
>impedance?!

One cannot tell: the sensitivity is not directly related to the
impedance.
>Could anyone explain me how this works and what people mean if they say
>that a headphone is 'hard to drive'?!

You must ask them not to use vague and unscientific phrases.

>Second, if I have the option, is it always better to chose a headphone
>with low impedance?
>
>I would really appreciate it if somebody could explain this to me!
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Regards,
>
>Luc van Hoye.

There is a thread going on this group about headphone 'matching',
including a description of the standard 5 V/120 ohm interface, which
attempts to feed headphones from 8 to 600 ohms with at least enough
power to give a reasonable listening level. I suggest you follow this
back in time, via DejaNews if you haven't still got the articles in your
local storage. But the Roland might not use the standard interface.
--
Regards, John Woodgate Tel. +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. OOO - Own Opinions Only
Alternative e-mail address: jmwa at thenet.co.uk
That means I get double spam with everything (;-(