Samonas Sound Therapy

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Wed Jun 11 05:34:25 EST 1997

If anyone has any information on this, I would really appreciate your input.

A five year old child came into the office this past week for otological
and audiological evaluation.  This child has no real expressive language
(except for pointing and gesturing) and very little receptive language
(follows simple commands such as "Put the toys in the box").  She has been
tested before and responds consistantly to soundfield stimuli (500 through
4000 Hz) at 15-20 dB HL.  I replicated the results in the office.  She has
no speech except for grunts and whines.  I am not the first person to see
this child, as she has received over a year of speech therapy, which has
been discountined due to little progress in the eyes of her mother.

Her mother told me that she is receiving some new form of therapy called
Samonas Sound Therapy.  From what I got from the paperwork, an audio sample
of her utterances was taken, analyzed, and a CD of "missing" sounds was
generated and given to the mother for the child to listen to on a regular
basis.  Her mother thinks this therapy will "make her talk".  I tried to
stay open minded as I had not heard of this therapy.  I made several calls
to speech pathologists who all told me they never heard of such a therapy.
The mother says it comes out of the National Association for Child
Development, which has branches in Utah and North Carolina, and the plan
originated out of Germany.

This sounds like so variation of Auditory Integration Training (AIT).  If
anyone has any information on this, please send it to the group with a
CC'ed email to me.

Thanks for the help....

Jeff