Family Circle -- audiology awareness

HearWHAC hearwhac at netins.net
Thu Jun 19 02:05:49 EST 1997

Paul D Dybala wrote:
> I WOULD HIGHLY recommend that the audiologists, dispensers, and manuf.
> out there to write family circle about how the information is biased,
> one sided, and INNACURATE!

Thanks, Paul, for sharing this information. This may sound strange, but
you will find what I am going to say to be very true. The best policy
for reacting to this type of false information is to ignore it! If you
send Family Circle letters and comments, they will love to publish it
and to get a real war going if they can. This will sell more magazines
for them.

But if you ignore it, it will quickly die and nobody will pay much
attention to it. The damage is already done and I wouldn't dignify it
with a comment.

In the early 1970's, the Minneapolis Star ran three horrible articles
about "rip offs" - full front page monster stories on three consecutive
days. The manufacturers and dealers made the mistake of trying to reply.
Ken Dahlberg's reply in the form of a letter was edited completely out
of context and he ended up really looking stupid - when he really was
not. That controversy went on for a long time and the newspaper loved it
- they sold a lot of papers. As a result, the Minnesota legislature
passed some legislation that initially hurt the dealers, but ended up
huring the audiologists real bad.

In the mid-1970's the Davenport, Iowa newspaper did the same thing. The
day they broke their story, all the dealers happened to be in Des Moines
attending a meeting. I met with them and made an agreement with them.
They made an agreement to not reply in any way or say anything publicly
about the awful story for one week! IF after one week they felt their
business was harmed in any way, they were then free to reply in any way
they wished. Would you believe not one of them felt their business was
hurt in any way and the whole thing died very quickly! They never said a
word!

Paul Woodard ;-)