New Hearing Aids

user at sig.below user at sig.below
Mon Jun 23 08:01:37 EST 1997

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:21:23 -0600, parker at airmail.net wrote:

(snipped)
+we wait for feedback (no pun) on the Widex Senso coming in July.

Widex Senso has been available for a year. I was fitted with a BTE
C-18 Senso about 2 months ago. After having had 4 other hearing
aids over a 20 year period, I can honestly say, I'm hearing more
environmental sounds and my comprehension is 80% with a profound
severe loss. My Senso is fitted with a Bi-cros system for my profound
side.

+ I'm looking for the best aid available. I used to doing comparisons
+when buying cars, stereo equipment, etc and I would like to
+compare performance between these aids too.

By all means, do comparisons. To the best of my knowledge, there
are currently only 2 true DSP digital aids. The Senso and the
Oticon DigiFocus. The Senso may not be for everyone, but was
my choice as it is the most advanced aid available. My first
battery lasted 310 hours and I'm still on the 2nd. Not bad for a
high powered aid.

+P.S. I was quoted $4200 for the ReSound and $5300 for the Widex.
+Do these prices seem resonable or can I find better prices else-
+where?

Sounds high to me for the Senso, I know a semi-retired dispenser
who will fit local  chapter SHHH members with the Senso for
$1600 / ear. He wears a pair of them himself, so has a lot of
programming experience. You can use that for reference.

Caveat Emptor
Bob Wood
bwood at netcom.com