Dix-Hallpike procedure

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Thu Jun 26 22:18:38 EST 1997

Stoosh <ritecode at mail.mem.bellsouth.net> writes:

>The Dix-Hallpike procedure is categorized in CPT as a caloric vestibular
>test.

>92533 - is used; no recording is done. Four irrigations must occur; a
>warm and cold irrigation for both the right and left ear.

>92543 - is used if you use ENG recordings to detect any difference
>between the nystagmus of the right side and the left side. Four
>irrigations are required.

>If you use 4 additional electrodes to measure vertical and rotary
>nystagmus, use code 92547 IN ADDITION to 92543.

>A4550 - (HCPCS Code) surgical tray should bee billed when procedure is
>performed in OFFICE.

Ok, so if I perform four caloric irrigations and record them, I bill as
a 92543.  If I also perform the Dix-Hallpike, then I cannot bill for a
92543 again, or can a bill for 92543 twice?

Please clarify your answer.  Also, I'm not the only person alive who
performs four irrigations plus the Dix-Hallpike procedure.  Please
speak up and be heard.