Dix-Hallpike procedure

Lois J. Barin barin.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 27 08:18:18 EST 1997

In article <3.0.1.16.19970626222636.3c0fe52c at hctc.net> audioman at HCTC.NET (Jeffrey Sirianni) writes:
>Stoosh <ritecode at mail.mem.bellsouth.net> writes:

>>The Dix-Hallpike procedure is categorized in CPT as a caloric vestibular
>>test.

>>92533 - is used; no recording is done. Four irrigations must occur; a
>>warm and cold irrigation for both the right and left ear.

>>92543 - is used if you use ENG recordings to detect any difference
>>between the nystagmus of the right side and the left side. Four
>>irrigations are required.

>>If you use 4 additional electrodes to measure vertical and rotary
>>nystagmus, use code 92547 IN ADDITION to 92543.

>>A4550 - (HCPCS Code) surgical tray should bee billed when procedure is
>>performed in OFFICE.

>Ok, so if I perform four caloric irrigations and record them, I bill as
>a 92543.  If I also perform the Dix-Hallpike, then I cannot bill for a
>92543 again, or can a bill for 92543 twice?

>Please clarify your answer.  Also, I'm not the only person alive who
>performs four irrigations plus the Dix-Hallpike procedure.  Please
>speak up and be heard.
>* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A                      *
>* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.               *
>* 710 Water Street / Suite 404                    *
>* Kerrville, TX  78028                            *
>*                                                 *
>* (210) 896-1433                                  *
>* (210) 896-1440 FAX                              *
>*                                                 *
>* audioman at hctc.net                               *
>* Discussion Leader of bionet.audiology Newsgroup *

My question would be is *why* is the Dix-Hallpike categorized as a
"caloric"  vestibular test to start with as the above poster states?

Maybe there is some semantic confusion here.  My understanding  is
that the original query referred to the "Hallpike manuever" (to rule out
the presence of BPPV).

Lois Barin
Pediatric Audiologist
Columbus, OH