SPAM in the Newsgroup

David G. Delage dgdelage at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 22:53:55 EST 1997

Jeffrey Sirianni wrote:

>I recently received email from participants who are sick of the spam posts
>pertaining to child pornography and psychic helplines in the newsgroup.
>The problem has recently gotten very bad and I do not see it getting any
>better with the proliferation of bulk email software and services.

One way to deal with it is to go to a moderated format, that's for
sure.  Another way is to find out who sent the spam, and email the
postmaster for that domain stating that this individual is disrupting
the group.  All but the most cunning of the spammers can be easily
tracked down by the information given in the post, so it is not
difficult to find the culprit.

While a moderated format would indeed rid all of the non-topic posts
from the newsgroup, it places an extraordinary burden on the
moderators of the group.  I personally would rather have the
moderators spending their time adding to the positive content of this
group than removing the negative content.

-Dave
--
David G. Delage
dgdelage at ix.netcom.com