testing hearing aids

James G. Odom jgodom at eramp.net
Mon Jun 30 19:31:25 EST 1997

Jeffrey Sirianni wrote:

> orgenm at juno.com writes:
>
> >I've been trying out a pair of starkey sequel cic's for a few weeks.
> >Sometimes they seem to work OK, but sometimes they don't seem to be
> >working at all. Would it be appropriate (or would it help) to have a
> >hearing test with the aids in my ears, in order to try to objectively
> >determine what, if any, change in my hearing is effected by the aids?
>
> One nice thing about CIC's is that functional testing can be performed
> for each each using headphones.  I use this method to show a patient
> how much benefit they are receiving at each frequency for each ear.  If
> you are unsure of the benefits you are getting with these devices, ask
> your audiologist of dispenser to measure functional gain with the aids
> on using headphones.

You don't indicate if this is a programmable or standard Sequel, but you
might have your provider look into the settings of the circuit.  I have
seen folks who "lost sound" because the compression or kneepoint were
set inappropriately.  Does it seem to not work as well in excessive
noise, or also in "normal" situations.  I have also seen a few CIC cases
who had intermittent sound problems which turned out to be the aid
shifting position in the canal and pushing up against the outer canal
wall, effectively shutting off the sound coming out of the receiver.
These were fixed by shortening the canal, with minimal change in sound
quality.