Otoacoustic recommendations

DZAPALA dzapala at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 23:20:41 EST 1997

Deborah:

In your experience does expressing the ABR stimulus in terms of ear canal
SPL decrease the variability in your normnative data?  Are your ABR
thresholds more predictive of subsequent confirmed hearing sensitivity?
(i.e. is the ABR more predictive?)   We have been working on this problem
and have become very suspecious of all of our ABR data.  We find as much
as a 20 dB variation in ear canal SPL re: dial reading using inserts in
newborns (5 dB step size).  The bias (not unexpectedly) is fo ear canal
levels to be underestimated by dial readings.  Are you finding this?  Your
comments are appreciated

David Zapala