DIGITAL HEARING AIDS

ruprik at ix.netcom.com ruprik at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 12 02:01:31 EST 1997

On 10 Mar 1997 15:27:10 GMT, DEREK <d.pomfret at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Fully digital hearing aids have been on the market for over a year now. I
>would be interested in learning just how successful these have been. I
>find it difficult to justify the additional cost versus other top line
>instruments such as Resound. Any comments?

The sound processing of the two digital aids are significantly
different from current high-end analog devices.

Oticon's DigiFocus is essentially a two-band processor, with wide
dynamic range compression in the low-frequency band and slow-acting
AGC in the high-frequency band. Widex's Senso has some long-term
dynamics (gain changes that take 20 to 30 seconds to take effect)
which some users may or may not like. There are many other differences
and it is unclear whether they are for the better or not.

Cheers,

--Brent