LVAS

EITEN at BoysTown.ORG EITEN at BoysTown.ORG
Wed Mar 12 17:46:15 EST 1997

Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct - EVA):  We have been following a population
of children with EVA here in the Nebraska area.  Some common histories
include:  relatively late identification of hearing loss, an unexplained
conductive component in the low regions of hearing with no middle ear
fluid or middle ear abnormalities, better speech and language abilities
than you would expect based on the degree of hearing loss.  Of course,
the most frustrating aspect of EVA/LVAS is the fluctuation and
progression of hearing loss that many of the children seem to experience.
 The fluctuation and possible progression make hearing aid fittings a
challenge and also require a great deal of audiological retesting.  At
this point, I'm not sure what your questions are.  If you would like more
information about audiological recommendations, I do have some basic
information geared for audiologists.  If you are seeking contact with
other families, let me know and I can possibly connect you with other
parents who have been through this.  From a parent's stand-point, EVA can
be frustrating and hard to predict.  Find out all you can - you are your
child's best advocate!