FIRST TIME Purchase need info/input

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Fri Mar 14 00:57:15 EST 1997

"wcrabtre" <wcrabtre at capecod.net> wrote:

>I have severe hearing loss above 2000hz, dropping to 90db- at 3500hz.
>Audiologist suggested Oticon Personic 430 bte. units. Audiologist has
>doubts about this helping me because of the high output level needed. We
>dug threw all the spec. sheets on different manufacture's units, to find
>one with the right curve. The Oticon "Personic 430" came the closest.
>Any ideas or opinion's? Please email me at < wcrabtre at capecod.net >or post
>in group.

Steep high frequency sensorineural hearing losses are diffiicult to fit based
on:

1. Controlling feedback
2. Minimizing occlusion of one's voice
3. Benefit in high frequency regions

To control 1. and 2., I would recommend the use of earmolds that have good
retention, but minimize occlusion of one's voice.  I have tried the MCT
(minimum contact technology) earmolds from Emtech on one of my patients
who has a similar profile as you.  After adjusting his prescription on his
new programmable aids, he says the feedback is almost non-existant, and he
can tolarate his voice.

In terms of benefit in the high frequency regions (3.), I have to think back
to what my CFY supervisor once told me.  She said "If you're suspicious about
whether a person is getting benefit on one certain region, check functional
gain the sound field".  For one case I say, the person was getting a ton of
real-ear gain at 3000 and 4000 Hz (about 40 dB), but almost no functional
gain in these regions, plus a ton of feedback.  We turned to the 2000 Hz,
and found that he was getting plenty of real-ear and functional gain, even
after turning the gain down to relieve feedback.  His audiometric profile
at 3000 Hz and above was not benefiting from any amount of real-ear gain.
Instead of playing around with the prescription, I turned to counseling this
patient about what I saw clinically and what he could expect from hearing
aids based on his audiogram.

Question for the group.... Has anyone else used MCT-type earmolds and what do
you feel about them?

Jeff