criteria for "normal"?

Maxianne Berger maxib at CAM.ORG
Sat Nov 1 02:57:55 EST 1997

my colleagues and I have been asked to do basic audiological measures
(puretones and speech) on people who are in a research study on a
medical treatment for a non-ear disease.  The medication is not in
any way expected to be ototoxic.
The purpose of our input is to exclude persons with preexisting loss,
that they might not later claim the loss is from having participated.

We'll likely include 3k and 6K ... The question is, assuming we use 20 or
25dB as the cutoff, how ought we handle 0-0-5-10-15-25-25-etc type
results?
We are now leaning towards 15 or 20 dB cutoffs -- the participants are all
supposedly "young" and "healthy" ...

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks you.
                 Maxianne Berger * maxib at cam.org    and   <'>>>>>>    |