What a mess! The second tragity of hearing loss

BailieBoy bailieboy at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 00:12:45 EST 1997

You do have a chance to test drive the aids you purchase.  All
have a 30 day trial priod in which you can use them and then return them
for a full refund or exchange for a different so you could do this.

Month 1  Senso CIC
Month 2  Starkey CIC
Month 3  Siemens CIC

etc etc etc.

I have to totally disagree with this advice.  Sorry!  This is the type of
 attitude that really causes problems for the consumer in the long run.  Plus,
 it's hard to stay in business (which as audiologists we need to if we really
 want to be of service to our patients) if we keep trying and returning hearing
 aids.  It gives false expectations to the consumer that if only we keep
 searching for the "perfect" hearing aid, all her/his problems will be fixed.
 My advice is to try to find someone you can trust (not easy) and work with
 them.  Any one of the major companies provides an excellent product that can
 be programmed, modified or changed to suit someone's needs.  I agree, the
 ongoing, who is better (audiologist or dispenser) debate can get old--there
 are ethical and unethical people in each group.  Ask people you know who where
 hearing aids for their recommendations.  There are good and bad
 Audiologists/dispensers in every setting (private practice, franchise/retail,
 hospital etc.)