"Hearing Loss" after a cold

Kimberski kimberski at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 12:46:18 EST 1997

Every so often I evaluate someone who tells me they had a severe cold, sometime
 within the past year, and ever since that time they can not hear. Air, bone,
 and speech testing (at 40 dBHL, typically) are all normal!  Pure tone
 thresholds are between 0 and 10 dB, and air and bone line right up.   I
 recently had two in the same day!  The audiologist I work with says she has
 experienced this as well.   Does anybody have any ideas about this?   What
 might lead to this perception?   What to say to these people?

Kimberly Skinner