What is a "Standard" Hearing Aid?

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Sat Nov 15 15:29:47 EST 1997

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your reply...

It seems to me that when you accept such patients into your practice, you
accept the possibility that the insurance company may decide that $X is
considered payment in full when in fact the retail charge for such a device
that has been fit over 30-60 days prior is billed at $Y to the patient.
The result is that you can dispute the $X payment as too little and ask for
more, bill the patient the difference (which GM BC/BS patients will NEVER
pay), or write off the difference.  It is a real sham that insurance
companies that cover hearing aids in their policies refuse to disclose
exactly what they will cover in terms of dollars re-imbursed or whether
they cover accepted retail cost back to the dispenser.