What is a "Standard" Hearing Aid?

hearwhac hearwhac at netins.net
Sat Nov 15 23:09:01 EST 1997

Hi Jeff,

Jeffrey Sirianni wrote:

> The result is that you can dispute the $X payment as too little and ask for
> more, bill the patient the difference (which GM BC/BS patients will NEVER
> pay), or write off the difference.  It is a real sham that insurance
> companies that cover hearing aids in their policies refuse to disclose
> exactly what they will cover in terms of dollars re-imbursed or whether
> they cover accepted retail cost back to the dispenser.

Unfortunately GM BC/BS has written into their contracts with their insureds
that they will pay the full cost of the hearing aid - and this is also written
into their contracts with us, their providers (that we must accept their
payment as "payment in full."). Thus, you cannot "bill the patient the
difference."

If you don't want to ever do business with an insurance company again, you can
write them a letter threatening them with a
law suit unless they apologize to their insured for writing them and informing
them what they consider a "usual and customary" price of a hearing is - when
what they offer to pay is nowhere close to what is "usual and customary" in
your area.

Paul ;-)