fitting hearing aids without Real-Ear

Susan M Lopez lopezs at musc.edu
Wed Nov 19 20:47:30 EST 1997

if you read my last message, this will explain why I was so dismayed at
one of the interviews I had...

being a recent graduate (2 years experience), I have never fit hearing
aids without the aid of a real ear system.  I recently interviewed for
a job where the ENT would expect me to do just that.  Quite frankly, it
was enough to make me almost decide not to take the job on the spot.
Then, I thought about it and wondered if I was being o'er hasty.

How 'bout it gang?  What's the vote on the real ear?  can't live without
it?  nice, but not essential?

I'm just plain, darn ignorant about how to even go about fitting aids
without real ear other than to go by what the person says/complains about
and putting them in the booth and doing soundfield aided and unaided.

I asked this ENT if he was going to purchase a real ear system and his
response was that "my other audiologists have never asked me for one."

I'm wondering if I'd be better off delivering pizzas...(THIS IS A JOKE)

Thanks in advance for any and all comments...

Susan Lopez