fitting hearing aids without Real-Ear

hearwhac hearwhac at netins.net
Fri Nov 21 01:46:12 EST 1997

Susan M Lopez wrote:

> How 'bout it gang?  What's the vote on the real ear?  can't live without
> it?  nice, but not essential?

My theory is based somewhat on some of Carl Jung's theory on
iNtuition/Sensing. (This is another of my interests, which might not make a
lot of sense on this forum.) We "Sensors" (the 70% of the population who
prefer to collect their information mainly by using the five senses) love to
turn the dials and all that stuff to fit hearing aids. I carefully input the
thresholds into the 6500 CX, measure the Unaided Real Ear Response and input
it into the equation and then print out the "prescription" for the "perfect"
hearing aid. My "iNtuitive" (persons who collect their information mainly by
using their well developed sixth sense of intuition) colleagues will take a
quick look at the audiogram and usually come up with the same reponse I am
going to order after I do all the mathematical caluculations, etc.

I can't live without real ear! And I have seen some lousy work done by those
who don't use it! (It's fun to take somebody else's failure and make it a
success simply by using real ear to verify what's wrong and what needs to be
done to correct the problem.) The newest software that does the FIG 6, etc.
type of stuff is wonderful! I use it many, many times every day and it does
work! For me!

Paul Woodard ;-)

I often wonder what it would be like to go to an opthalmalogist who
prescribed by using iNtuition instead of Sensing? Dentists, optometrists,
opthalmologists and other professionals of this kind are predominantly
Sensors (persons who would use real ear) according to the research. I
personally believe hearing aid fitting is now more of a "science" than an
"art." The research is much better now than ever. (Most university faculty
members are iNtuitives - and they are the ones who teach the rest how to do
it!)

Incidentally, there may not be a correlation between low number of returns
and successful fittings. The real issue is the number of hours the hearing
aid is worn, not whether it is returned for credit. Some fitter's patients
wear their hearing aids, and other fitter's patients rarely wear their
hearing aids. A large segment of the population (again, Jung's theory,
"Feelers") would never return a hearng aid for a refund even though they will
never wear it.