Fitting hearing aids without real ear.

CharlesHarney CharlesHarney at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 20 20:29:49 EST 1997

Dear Susan,

Unlike Michael, I have been using real ear since 1984.  I do not think
you can adequately fit conventional hearing aids without it. When
fitting 2 channel programmable WBDR hearing aids it greatly helps the
audiologist to see the effect of different input intensities in each
channel after the CT (compression thresold) has been reached.  In
addition we also assess functional gain with warble tones in the sound
field. On every patient we administer one or all of these tests to back
up the subjective comments the patient expresses to us about the
functioning of the hearing aid.  Many times our initial adjustments will
be changed based on these tests. So to answer your question: Yes, you
should insist on the use of a real ear system.

There is a ENT group practice opening up in Kissimee, Fine ENT's (my
former students) who insist on quality and you would like working with
them and Andrea Livingston. At the moment the main office is in Sebring.
Do you have to stay in Miami?   Esta un poco frio in Orlando pero son
buena gente, todos de Puerto Rico.

Charlie