XIX Wish List

Sandra and Dan Hobson danhobson at netins.net
Sun Nov 23 22:46:23 EST 1997

If the Title XIX rules have essentially gone unchanged since the 60's, why
hasn't more progress been made to update the guidelines and make it known
and recognized that we are certified and licensed, often dually in a State,
such as Iowa.  My wish list:

1. No doctor's form to be signed and attached to the billing.If a medical
referral is needed we are bound by ethics and often are licensure code to
make that referral in the best interests of the client's medical needs.

2. A flat rate per code of hearing aid...i.e power BTE, mild to moderate
gain BTE, earmold soft, earmold hard, ITE power, ITE mild to
moderate....eliminating need for invoice attachment.

3. Electronic Billing which is possible after the above  are eliminated
from having to be attached to the HICFA 1500.

4. Since all hearing aids now come with a specification sheet for that
patient's hearing aid eliminate the Hearing Aid documentation form.

5. Make some lieniency on batteries...currently our payor has interpreted
it to 24 per 3 month cycle.  Some of my frail deaf-blind patients with
binaural hearing aids go through more than that, or a more rural patient
may have a short in their hearing aid and is unable to get the hearing aid
in for repair or is unwilling to give it up for a period of time.

6. Eliminate the need for invoices to be attached for repairs.  Have a flat
rate again for repairs per 6 month period.

7. Eliminate need for replacement earmold invoice, again a reasonable and
fair rate to again facilitate towrds electronic filing.

8. Eliminate having the patient signature for batteries, unless they are
requesting batteries to be sent to them through the mail from the office.

9. To assure quality care recommend that documentation of the audiogrm,
hearing aid spec sheet, documentation of all visits and what was done be in
the chart for any audit.

10. That if a hearing aid is dispensed by a provider any follow-up care
during the first year warranty period should be done by that provider, and
not leave the patient stranded.  Or if another provider has to step in to
provide services some form of per visit charge, since the dispensing fee
already been paid.

Smile, Sandra Hobson