Fitting hearing aids without real ear.

gandalf at infi.net gandalf at infi.net
Mon Nov 24 08:58:24 EST 1997

The person said, "we can always boast about our 5-6% return rates". This
seemed to me to be an insult. We can also boast about our knowledge of poorly
designed research studies. In any case, your response is well said.
BTW, I not opposed to REM, just to the thoughtless use of it by those who want
to vaunt their expertise over the patient. It happens in this area that
a well known audiologist tells her patients that they are wrong when
they complain about their hearing aids. It seems that her real ear unit
informs her of the proper fit. Those folks come to me for resoulution of
their difficulties. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive on the subject.
Michael