tinnitus following a cold, "sinus infection", hospital stay

Kevin Pons kpons at BYELECTRIC.COM
Thu Nov 27 09:41:13 EST 1997

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BCFB10.422B1720

I've noticed over the years that some patients will complain of tinnitus =
after a cold, "sinus infection", hospital stay for illness, or after a =
middle ear effusion.  Prior to the incident no significant hearing loss =
was apparent and there had been no other otologic complaint.  They =
subsequently schedule an appointment for tinnitus evaluation which =
typically shows some slight to moderate high frequency HL but no other =
abnormal signs and otologic evaluation is noncontributory.  My =
assessment has been that the HL preceded the URI etc. and therefore =
predisposed the ear to generate tinnitus which is then precipitated by =
the other minor incident.  Has anyone else noticed this or know of any =
literature related to this phenomenon.  I would be interested in your =
thoughts.

Sincerely,=20
Kevin Pons

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BCFB10.422B1720

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I've noticed over the years that =
some patients=20
will complain of tinnitus after a cold, &quot;sinus infection&quot;, =
hospital=20
stay for illness, or after a middle ear effusion.&nbsp; Prior to the =
incident no=20
significant hearing loss was apparent and there had been no other =
otologic=20
complaint.&nbsp; They subsequently schedule an appointment for tinnitus=20
evaluation which typically shows some slight to moderate high frequency =
HL but=20
no other abnormal signs and otologic evaluation is =
noncontributory.&nbsp; My=20
assessment has been that the HL preceded the URI etc. and therefore =
predisposed=20
the ear to generate tinnitus which is then precipitated by the other =
minor=20
incident.&nbsp; Has anyone else noticed this or know of any literature =
related=20
to this phenomenon.&nbsp; I would be interested in your =
thoughts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Sincerely, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Kevin =
Pons</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BCFB10.422B1720--