Rehabiliation

Sarah E. Mason smason2 at JULIAN.UWO.CA
Sat Nov 29 17:56:26 EST 1997

Hello,
Presently I am a first year graduate in audiology and I have an
observation about our profession and a question:

I have been taught that the history of our field has been based on
rehabilitating individuals who are disabled by their hearing loss.
Because of the vast advances in technology, we are better able to do
this with hearing aids, FM systems etc.  However, I have been taught
that many audiologists feel that the focus has shifted in the past
twenty or so years.  That is, there is too much focus on the best
technologies (ie. fitting the best hearing aid) and not enough focus on
helping the individual with adaqute therapy , rehab etc.  I'm not sure
what I think cause I have not seen alot of the real stuff yet.  But I
can say that the audiologist I have watched evaluated a middle aged man,
told him he had a mild to moderate hearing loss, might consider a
hearing aid in the future and told him to come back in a year.  That was
it.  He spoke of wanting to avoid parties because of the difficulty they
presented. That was not addressed. I'm not writing this as a strike
against this particular audiologist, she truly cares about her
patients.  I would like to know if you agree or disagree with the idea
that rehabilitation, in the traditional sense of the word, is being left
to other professionals and should it be?  I asked a speech pathology
student what kind of training they received for rehabilitating hearing
impaired.  She said little to none.  My audiology program offers one 3
month class.  Also, we need 25 hours in rehabilitation to graduate,
however, we were told to include hearing aid fitting time in that
section.  Otherwise, it would probably be left blank.
Food for thought?
Thanks,
sarah mason