Rehabiliation

Oregon7 oregon7 at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 14:28:45 EST 1997

Hi Sarah:

First let me welcome you to the profession.  You made a good choice....

The problem with many potential services that audiologists could provide and
don't often comes down to a question of reimbursement.  It is hard to think
about now when you are in school, but if the patient doesn't pay for it, you
don't get paid, either.

Our clinic solution has been to offer a 6 week aural rehab course through the
senior centers, etc.  In a group, we can allow for a sliding scale payment of
at most $10 per hour per person, and more reasonably meet the expectations of
the patients who attend.

In our graduate program, we counted counseling following hearing aid fittings
as AR, too, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't really fit the bill.

I wish you success in your program.  Keep on wondering about the issues and you
will be rewarded in the long run.

MJ