Aural Rehabilitation

mark ross markross at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU
Sat Nov 29 22:41:31 EST 1997

Sarah Mason raises an important issue. The profession of audiology was
founded, in large part, by the need to provide a/r services to
those with service connected hearing losses. If Audiologists do not
respond to the communication problems secondary to a hearing loss,
if they do not help people and families adjust to the reality of a
hearing loss, and help them take steps to reduce the handicap, then it
will not be done.

As it happens, an article I wrote (A Retrospective Look at the Future
of A/R) just appeared in the last issue of the Journal of Academy of
Rehabilitative Audiology. In it, I also review the position paper by Self
Help For Hard of Hearing People regarding the routine inclusion of a
group hearing aid orientation program after a hearing aid has been
dispensed.

Beyond all the debates regarding the AuD in all of its manifestations
lies our activities and actions on behalf of the
hearing-impaired public, and this seems to be getting lost in the
shuffle.

Mark Ross