Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 22:14:12 EST 1997

>Subject: Re: Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss
>From: lopezs at musc.edu (Susan M Lopez)
>Date: Tue, Sep 30, 1997 21:38 EDT
Susan

Don't jump to conclusions or condemnations so fast .

>	Um, why on earth would you put a hearing aid on a normal ear?
>
>	Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here.
Yes you are missing something!!!

  If he had a
>maximum conductive hearing loss that has been corrected to 15 dB HL or
>better across audiometric frequencies, he should be grateful and if he
>can't hear whispers, big woo.

He did not complain about not hearing whispers, he says he does not hear words
 on the phone or if someone whispers in that ear!

>  I don't mean to sound crass or rude, but I
>have rarely seen maximum conductives corrected to 15 dB or better across
>frequencies and if this guy truly got that much improvement, he should
>thank his surgeon and humbly go about his life IMHO.
>
>SNIP>
  If discrim is WNL at a resonable volume, and nothing
>else is going on, this man seems to be in need of some counseling rather
>than a hearing aid.  And why a Senso in particular?  Its still a hearing
>aid, even if it is "digital."
>
>Susan
>(all opinions expressed are mine, and in no way reflect on my employer)

Kim was tongue in cheek about the Senso.

But the patient may ave developed a strong dominance in the "normal ear"  over
 the last 20 or 30 years because of limited or no input from the "bad" side.

CAP testing may give some indication of the problems.  we can't ignore a
 patient's comments because he should be grateful for the improvement he got.
 Problems should be evaluated from all angles as well as straight on.

The patient wants to get the maximum benifit of the improvement obtained.  We,
 as the professionals in this area should be the ones to look for answers not
 the ones to make him feel he is asking "too much" of us.
Bob

>On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Kimberly Skinner wrote:
>
>> I recently saw a 36 year old man who had a maximum conductive hearing
>> loss (near as I can tell from what he told me) from early childhood.
>> Two years ago he had an operation which corrected this, and now his air
>> conduction thresholds are within normal limits (15 or better, in fact.)
>> Hearing has always been excellent at the other ear.  His complaint was
>> that whenever he isolates this ear, he can't hear words, for example
>> when he's on the telephone or when someone whispers in that ear.  His
>> speech testing in the booth is normal (SRT agrees with pure tones, word
>> recognition is 92%.)  Does anyone know of any ways of "strengthening"
>> that ear?  I have some ideas, and I was wondering what other
>> audiologists might suggest.   (I thought about having him get a WIDEX
>> SENSO for that ear, but Canada is too far away!)
>>
>> Kimberly

Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS
Family Hearing Centers
2001 Lincoln Dr W.   Suite E