Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Thu Oct 2 23:34:44 EST 1997

Kimberly Skinner wrotes:

>> I recently saw a 36 year old man who had a maximum conductive hearing
>> loss (near as I can tell from what he told me) from early childhood.
>> Two years ago he had an operation which corrected this, and now his air
>> conduction thresholds are within normal limits (15 or better, in fact.)
>> Hearing has always been excellent at the other ear. His complaint was
>> that whenever he isolates this ear, he can't hear words, for example
>> when he's on the telephone or when someone whispers in that ear. His
>> speech testing in the booth is normal (SRT agrees with pure tones, word
>> recognition is 92%.) Does anyone know of any ways of "strengthening"
>> that ear? I have some ideas, and I was wondering what other
>> audiologists might suggest. (I thought about having him get a WIDEX
>> SENSO for that ear, but Canada is too far away!)

The answer is right under your nose.  Maximum conductive hearing loss
since "early childhood".  My thought is that his affected ear has sustained
a lifetime of auditory deprivation.  Time may help with this.  See
references on this topic.

lopezs at musc.edu (Susan M Lopez) replies:

>Um, why on earth would you put a hearing aid on a normal ear?

I think it was a joke.....