Presidential Hearing Aid

Paul D Dybala dybala at utdallas.edu
Sat Oct 4 15:10:51 EST 1997

Susan M Lopez (lopezs at musc.edu) wrote:

> ...think this is the wrong way to counsel patients?  Everything I was
	ever
> taught emphasised that patients should wear their aids as much as possible
> to acclimatize themselves (and their brains) to the amplified sounds.
> I have always told my patients that its better NOT to run out and wear
> their new aids in a noisy party before they've had a chance to get used to
> them.  Ideas?  Inputs? Thanks!

> Susan

I am right there with you susan.  Only the brain can make
sense of the noise and the signal.  The hearing aid
can make sure that sounds are audible and comfortable.

I can think of few instances when a hearing aid can increase
the SNR such as when you have directional microphones
and or when you are listening to a two channel compression
instrument and you are listening for HF consonants in a low frequency
noise.

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala