Hanging Ceiling Mounted Sound Field Systems

Dee Ann Wilson deeannwilson at SPRINTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 5 19:00:40 EST 1997

I am an audiologist in a public school system. We recently were fortunate
enough to purchase some ceiling-mounted soundfield systems. Although we
know how simple they are to install (it takes just a minute or two for
one of our systems), our facilities department has refused to install
them in our classrooms due to liability and fire hazard issues!

The liability issue stems from their fear that the support wires included
with the system may not be strong enough (or up to a code, perhaps?) to
prevent the speakers from falling from the ceiling. The fire hazard issue
has to do with at least one of the systems having some exposed wires.

Our facilities department insists that the systems may have to be
"semi-permanently installed," requiring work orders, delays, expense...
Of course, we want to be able to move them around to different classrooms
or schools periodically, so this would be impractical.

Has anyone else had problems getting these systems installed? How
about success stories with these systems? Advice?

Dee Ann Wilson
Wake County Public Schools
Raleigh, NC

email: deeannwilson at sprintmail.com