Interesting Case

Paul D Dybala dybala at utdallas.edu
Mon Oct 6 15:24:54 EST 1997

He shouldn't have acoustic reflexes or emissions
at all if they have +110 dB Hearing Loss.

Also think about the fact that that you can have up to a 40 dB loss and
present emissions, you can also have absent emissions and normal hearing!

It could be possible that he has a mild to moderate HF loss
and this person is exaggerating but all of the information
just does not add up.

Plus, you and I know that you CANNOT get all the
speech information you need from lipreading.

Get this guy worked up with some electophysiological
testing especially ABR and MLR.  Do the ABR with
clicks and 500 and 4000 Hz tone bursts.

Also, did you use an ascending approach from 0 dB in 2 dB steps
for speech and then for tones to throw off any loudness judgements?

It is true that his claims are not unreasonable of
having a hearing loss,  but you
are not unreasonable in saying my tests are not agreeing
with each other and I cannot get a definitive answer.
Then bring him back in and do everything over again
plus the electrophys stuff.

What is your gut feeling on this person?

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala
dybala at utdallas.edu