STOP POSTING PRICING!

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Thu Oct 9 23:00:30 EST 1997

>Subject: Re: STOP POSTING PRICING!
>From: fjp <p2 at media.mit.edu>
>Date: Tue, Oct 7, 1997 10:49 EDT
>
>Thanks, Dan, you've said it as clearly and concisely as I ever could
>have hoped to.

Just courious guys, but what do you do for a living?

>I stand by my earlier statement:
>
>If an industry cannot stand by their products and be forthcoming and
>honest about their pricing policies, they should not be trusted with
>providing a very expensive, important product to their customers.

You are absolutely correct, because an honest and ethical professional will
 charge enough, but not too much; be compassionate, but not a pushover; answer
 reasonable questions honestly; but never counsel a patient that is not well
 informed.
Think about what you are saying!!

>I, for one, would never buy a hearing aid from someone who cannot be
>forthcoming and honest with their prices.

I have a fairly set pricing system in my office.  I look at what I am charged
 for a device and add on my overhead costs so I can  keep my office open.
 Seems reasonable enough, right??  I do not charge someone more because they
 "can afford it" or less because they are on a"fixed income" .  There are
 ranges of products and prices for everyone.  A professional will talk with a
 patient and base a recommendation on need, abilities, and costs.

>Kimberly, if your own pricing can be used against you, doesn't that tell
>you something about the way you do business?

NO IT DOES NOT!  IT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT HOW OTHERS IN HER AREA AS WELL AS THE
 BARGAN HUNTING PATIENTS WANT BUSINESS TO BE DONE!!

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a patient that "got a great buy"
 but can't hear a blasted thing come to my office for service  or adjustments
 because they talked with one of my patients.  Then they  get upset if I tell
 them I will have to charge them for my time and services beacuse the aid is
 "almost new".  If the aids had been purchased from me the costs include any
 work needed to make the fitting succesful.
I am not the most expensive nor cheapest, I feel I charge a reasonable price
 for the best services I can provide.
Price hunters will come to me and ask for a price for a given aid, then goe to
 someone else who will quote $50 less.  But they don't get me or my equipment
 or knowledge.
then they come back for an adjustment because they know I do good work.  Gee
 thanks!

 >Perhaps you should lower your prices, or come up with innovative ways to
 reduce cost while
>providing the same (or better) quality?  Why should the consumer have to
>pay top dollar for *your* services?  If your services are truly
>superior, the customers should, and will, know that, and will come in
>droves.
Only if she can stay in business long enough for them to find out!!!!!

>Audiologists are providing a *service* to their customers, who deserve
>upfront, honest pricing policies.  It's bad enough to have to need a
>hearing aid, and it's even worse to be overcharged.

AND IT'S EVEN WORSE TO BUY JUNK AND BLAME THE INDUSTRY FOR YOUR ERROR.

>Dan, you're the kind of guy I'd want on my team.

Oh by the way Dan,  if you want to discuss pricing e-mail me or set a chat room
 up.
I'm sure you can get a very active discussion going.

Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS
Family Hearing Centers
2001 Lincoln Dr W.   Suite E
Marlton, NJ 08053-1531