What is a "Standard" Hearing Aid?

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Tue Oct 14 00:33:12 EST 1997

I'm looking for some advice on the following situation:  I have a group of
retired GM patients in my practice with BC/BS of Michigan & BC/BS of
Indiana each having hearing aid benefits.  My office manager called the
insurance companies to find out the limitations of benefits.  The insurance
companies said that they will reimburse for a "standard" hearing aid.  A
second phone call to define "standard" hearing aid was then made.   We were
told that a "standard" hearing aid was any device excluding CIC's,
digitals, and programmables.  As I have found that I can find a
programmable in nearly every price range, how can I get around this strict
guideline and still offer a decent device to these patients?  Anyone with
experience dealing with GM retirees with advice on this topic would be
especially helpful.

Jeff