"President Clinton may lead the way..."

Paul D Dybala dybala at utdallas.edu
Tue Oct 14 17:06:15 EST 1997

> Two quotes from the article: "Today's haring aids are pricier -
> typically $750 to $3,000 per ear..." and Dr. Donald Frey of Creighton
> University is quoted, "As far as I know there's never been a study
> demonstrating that routine audiometric hearing tests determine hearing
> loss any more quickly than people simply paying attention to any
> 'changes' in their hearing and bringing them to the attention of a
> physician." (Has such a study ever been done?)

Sure, it is more effective when a person says "my hearing is getting
worse, I need to get tested" than to screen everyone.  Just like when a
person hurts their leg they say ouch this hurts.  They don't need an xray
to tell them that.

The hearing test is like the xray that lets you determine exactly
how much damage has been done and does this leg need surgery, a cast,
or two asprin and call me in the morning.

The full audiogram is not to let someone know they have a hearing loss
but to find out the exact amount and type to see if there is a need to
refer to a physician for medical intervention, our to help fit a hearing
aid.

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala